Monday, January 27, 2014

The First Few Weeks

The First Few Weeks

At the hospital in was a learning period for us all. We had to learn or relearn all the basic care needs for this tiny tiny baby. Everything went well for our little Ainsley in the hospital except that her blood sugar level was low at first. They supplemented with breast milk from a bottle. It came back up to normal and stayed normal the rest of the time but sadly this meant it had to be tested before every feed. Which meant a hill prick before every feed.  It was so sad. Then the poor thing had to get a test for blood levels where they had to draw blood from her hand. OUCH L After all that we were both given a clean bill of health and on Monday the 28th we were able to take our beautiful girl home. As we drove my mind was filled with all the wonderful ideas, this beautiful picture of my new family. It was all going just as I had imagined, Jay was curious but kind. Ainsley peacefully slept and Brandon and I just watched her in awe- wow she is really ours. I had told the moms that we would probably just do our own thing the first few days and figure out this parenting thing on our own.  Then the night came…

 My milk came in and it was a nightmare. I was so swollen and engorged Ainsley could not latch. We were up basically all night trying to figure out how to feed this poor baby. Finally I pumped but the bottles we had were literally bigger then her face.  I was frantically texting my mom hoping for help. She reminded me my sister in law had to spoon feed her baby milk. So we tried that and it worked she was finally able to sleep. I called Brandon’s mom the next morning and asked her to come as soon as she could. So much for a plans to do this on our own. Thankfully she came and brought different bottles that would work. The next few days was filled with trying to figure out the feeding thing it was more hard and frustrating then I could have every imagined. Finally at the advice of a friend we found something that worked and feeding became a much better experience.

During the first few weeks we had a few more medical hiccups. Nothing terrible, just a spat with jaundice. Sadly that meant more doctors visits and more heel pricks. She had to be on the lights for awhile but after that it was all cleared up. We also had some fun times we celebrated her first holiday, Halloween, and she made the cutest little Minnie Mouse there ever was. We also celebrated mommy’s birthday. We were lucky to have grandmas come help out when daddy went back to work.

Brandon was able to have a decent amount of time off after we brought little Ainsley home. It was a wonderfully joyful period filled with a lot of learning and lot of hardships. However,  I can say being a parent is truly the most wonderful blessing. We experienced a love we had never known for our daughter, and our love for each other only grew. We really had to work together and rely on one another to figure it all out. I know that I could not have done it without the help of my amazing husband.

We love you Ainsley and these first few weeks only solidified that. We can’t wait to watch you grow.









 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



No comments: